Subject: Re: bug#29592: 25.3; python does not print input or output in the inferior process

From: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 08:57:38 +1100

On Wed, 06 Dec 2017, Alex Branham wrote:

> In python-mode (from python.el), writing
>
> import pandas as pd
> pd.Series([1, 2, 3, 4, 5])
>
> after starting an inferior python process, selecting the buffer, and
> running M-x python-shell-send-region no output is printed in the process
> buffer even though the statements are evaluated.

I found that Python REPL output is displayed only if the python code is
on the first line of the buffer. Is this the same for you Alex?

For example, running `emacs -q`, I open /tmp/foo.py, and M-x run-python
(C-c C-p) to open the Python REPL. Then I switch focus back to the
foo.py buffer and enter 'abc' on the first line, including quotes. I run
M-x python-shell-send-statement (C-c C-e), Emacs says 'Sent: "abc"...'
and '>>> abc\n' is displayed in the REPL. If I add a newline before
'abc' and repeat, it says 'Sent: "abc"' and only ">>> " is printed to
the REPL.

Same issue when using M-x python-shell-send-region (C-c C-r) and
explicitly highlighting the 'abc' when it's not the first line in the
buffer.

I'm using GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.30, cairo version 1.16.0). Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org
Foundation', version 11.0.12101002. System Description: Guix System

Regards,
Ben