Subject: bug#29586: Please revert change to package deletion

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 20:42:02 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> The disk space is not the issue, I think, not nowadays.  I believe the
> issue is the _number_ of files in the trash: if there are an awful lot
> of them, they make looking for those "precious" mistakenly deleted
> files harder.  Or at least this is my understanding; I don't use
> trash, so have no experience of my own to share.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

As far as I can tell, package.el package-delete still deletes (and
doesn't trash) the files, and I can't recall seeing any requests to
change this (outside this bug report), so there doesn't seem to be any
great demand for that, and I'm therefore closing this bug report.

(People that want this can now advise `package--delete-directory', so
it's easier to change the behaviour in Emacs 28 than it was in previous
versions.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no