Subject: Re: [bug#29582] [PATCH] gnu: git-modes: Rename to 'emacs-git-modes'.

From: Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 10:44:11 -0500

Alex Kost <[email-masked]> writes:

> Kyle Meyer (2017-12-09 10:51 -0500) wrote:

[...]

>> I prefer "emacs-" for consistency, but the practical reason I want it is
>> so that emacs-packages? recognizes magit.  That way, if I package some
>> magit extensions, I don't need to manually tweak the load path in their
>> package definitions (I think, at least; was looking at the issue a while
>> back).
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this manual tweak, why do you need it?

When I'm defining a new emacs package, emacs-build-system:build takes
care of updating the load path to include directories for emacs packages
in the inputs, but it relies on emacs-packages?, which relies on the
"emacs-" prefix, to do this.  So, if I'm defining a package that depends
on Magit, I need to manually set load-path in the build phase.

-- 
Kyle