Subject: [bug#29582] [PATCH] gnu: git-modes: Rename to 'emacs-git-modes'.

From: Alex Kost <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 22:41:19 +0300

Kyle Meyer (2017-12-09 10:51 -0500) wrote:

> Alex Kost <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Kyle Meyer (2017-12-05 16:23 -0500) wrote:
>>
>>> Alex Kost <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> Hello, what about renaming 'git-modes' to 'emacs-git-modes' (similarly
>>>> to 'emacs-paredit')?
>>>
>>> I'd like that.  Should magit and magit-svn also be converted to the
>>> "emacs-" prefix?
>>
>> I don't know whether there is a strict policy to prefix all emacs
>> packages.  But I would prefer to leave "magit" ("magit-svn" therefore)
>> and "geiser" as they are now (without "emacs-" prefix).  For some reason
>> it looks more natural to me :-)
>
> Well, can't argue with looks :)
>
> I prefer "emacs-" for consistency, but the practical reason I want it is
> so that emacs-packages? recognizes magit.  That way, if I package some
> magit extensions, I don't need to manually tweak the load path in their
> package definitions (I think, at least; was looking at the issue a while
> back).

I'm not sure what you mean by this manual tweak, why do you need it?
Doesn't a package work without it?

Anyway, I don't mind if all Emacs packages would be prefixed with
"emacs-".  At least, it would be consistent: no need to think if this or
that package is just a library or an end-user application.

-- 
Alex