Subject: Re: bug#29565: [PATCH] Support xwidget webkit for macOS X

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:05:46 +0200

조성빈 <[email-masked]> writes:

> Unfortunately I don’t have a new patchset that I’ve been working
> on... (I lost interest on this after the long thread on Obj-C and gcc)
> but I’ll be more than happy to incorporate the patch on master (but
> only if I have the confidence that my time will be spent well and not
> being blocked by the gcc issue, I guess).

Yeah, that was a discouraging thread on emacs-devel.

I've taken your final version of the patch set and applied it to Emacs
28 -- there were a couple things I had to merge by hand, but everything
seems to work fine, so I'll just go ahead and commit and push the change
now.  I'll also be applying the other two follow-up patches that added
new functionality after doing a bit more testing.

> IIRC, the biggest problem was that the patch currently just messages
> (a lot) when two xwidget views gets duplicated and Emacs can’t display
> one. The sensible approach would be to show another view (I guess a
> NSView with a NSTextField label in it?) but I’m not familiar enough
> with the display engine (as I didn’t write the code from
> scratch). Maybe someone might help on that part...?

As this is new functionality on Macos, I don't think that should block
the inclusion of the patch -- further display glitches here (this is an
optional feature, after all) can be worked on afterwards.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no