Subject: [bug#29562] [PATCH] gnu: lua5.1-socket: Update to 3.0-rc1 (for IPv6 support).

From: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 23:08:16 +0100

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 04:14:48PM +0100, Clément Lassieur wrote:
>> * gnu/packages/lua.scm (lua5.1-socket): Update to 3.0-rc1.
>> [source]: Change upstream URI.
>> [arguments]: Set INSTALL_TOP environment variable instead of INSTALL_TOP_SHARE
>> and INSTALL_TOP_LIB.
>
> Typically we don't package release candidates or beta software.
> Sometimes we do, if there are critical bugs fixed in the RC that we
> can't backport, or if the upstream development seems to have stalled
> without issuing a final release.
>
> Can you give more detail about this case?

Sure.  This patch adds support for IPv6 to Prosody.  See
https://prosody.im/doc/ipv6 and
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-12/msg00050.html.

Even though it's a release candidate, it's four years old, it's
recommended by Prosody, and I believe IPv6 is really important.