Subject: Re: bug#2956: 23.0.92; anything.el causes BSOD on vista64 dual-processor

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 18:28:32 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 16:39:00 +0200
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > The fact (if it is a fact) that a problem manifests itself only on
>> > Vista does not necessarily mean there's no bug in Emacs, especially
>> > since the variety of different systems on which Emacs is routinely
>> > tested is so small.  Some positive evidence is required to deduce that
>> > the bug is in the underlying OS.  Do you have such an evidence?
>> 
>> An unprivileged process able to crash the OS is always a bug in the OS.
>
> Please re-read what I wrote: I also said that this doesn't necessarily
> mean there's no bug in Emacs.

Please re-read what I wrote: I also said that this is independent of
whether there is a workaround.  An unprivileged process must _never_ be
able to crash the OS.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."