Subject: Re: bug#29550: 27.0.50; `not-modified' should be disabled by default

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 21:38:32 +0300

On 2019-09-29 12:05 +02, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:
>> How about adding a command that reenables all disabled commands?
> That's possible, but I was also wondering whether there should be an
> "emacs -Q-but-not-so-much" (or whatever) switch to Emacs, or a standard
> common-maintainer-things.el file one could load.
>
> But that's probably an endless rabbit hole to go down into, so I think
> we should just settle on saying "-l my-maintainer-things.el"
> individually for whatever we think is too annoying to deal with when
> testing with -Q.

Or, a flag like --maintainer-mode that enables all commands _and_
implies -Q and "-l $EMACS_MAINTAINER_RC" if found?

Frankly, I see no reason this issue is controversial: the command has
caused data loss for multiple people; accidental data loss and data
corruption is the worst thing that can happen to you in personal
computing, and accidentally hitting M-~ causes accidental data
loss/corruption in a very confusing way. "(emacs) Disabling" states:

> The purpose of disabling a command is to prevent users from executing
> it by accident; we do this for commands that might be confusing to the
> uninitiated.

In this light, it’s rather obvious what to do: protect users by
disabling this command.  The sole argument for keeping it enabled is
essentially the convenience of a single person.

Also, something like this

      emacs -Q -e "(enable-command 'not-modified)"

works for Eli’s case, you could just alias it to something like ‘emacsq’
or ‘emacs-Q’.

-- 
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp	<https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
			 024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC
			 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427