Subject: bug#29550: 27.0.50; `not-modified' should be disabled by default

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 12:49:08 +0300

On 2017-12-04 05:37 +02, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> From: Göktuğ Kayaalp <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 02:19:45 +0300
>> 
>> I suggest that the command ‘not-modified’, bound by default to ‘M-~’, be
>> disabled by default, as it can cause data loss and is easily triggered
>> accidentally
>
> FWIW, I use this command many times every day, with no data loss.
> Just one data point.
>

There probably are some disabled commands that each of us use all the
time.  ‘erase-buffer’, ‘upcase-region’ and ‘downcase-region’ are some
for me.  I think ‘not-modified’ is at least as risky as those commands
given it can be hit accidentally, maybe more easily, as I've said
previously, for someone using a keyboard where tilde is easily
(mis-)typed (in my British layout keyboard it's just to the left of the
big return button: jkl;' then #/~), and indeed would be «confusing for
beginners», quoting the disabled command buffer.  Also, from Glenn
Morris' message in this thread, there seems to be two other times in
history where a similar request to mine has been made.  If my patch is
refused I'll just have it disabled in my config, but I truly think that
this command, bound to a non-prefixed binding in the global map, is
potentially confusing and dangerous for who doesn't already know it,
beginner or not; if we have upcase/downcase-region disabled, this should
be disabled too.

-- 
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp	<http://www.gkayaalp.com/>
			 024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC
			 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427