Subject: bug#29548: 25.2; How to DEBUG get-device-terminal

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 10:42:00 -0500

Hi,

        I currently have an Emacs (GUI) proceaa giving the
        error:

get-device-terminal: Invalid argument #<terminal 5> in
'get-device-terminal'
Error running timer battery-update-handler' (error Invalid argument
#<terminal 5> in 'get-device-terminal'")

        I belive this happened in my setup after I did the following
        in conjuction with an Emacs daemon process:

          (From a terminall shell prompt)
          $ emacsclient -c file1.txt
          (Emacs frame pops up)

          From another terminal shell prompt::
          $ emacsclient -t file1.txt
          (terminal shows Emacs with file1.txt buffer)
          'C-x 5 0' "(delete-frame)" in Emacs (TTY)
          (terminal "clears" -- Emacs (TTY) mo longer on scree, as
          expected, but mot returned to system shell prompt)
          (Emacs (GUI) frame starts showing 'get-device-terminql'
          error messages abd is umresponsive to any keyboard input)

          This Emacs process is still avaiable to GDB, if useful.

          If not, the only thing else I can do is to kill the Emacs
          process(es) from the command line.

          Please advixe.

          Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.10)
 of 2017-05-02 built on buildvm-17.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
nnimap read 136k from imap.aim.com [2 times]
nnimap read 152k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 160k from imap.aim.com [2 times]
nnimap read 176k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 184k from imap.aim.com
Fetching headers for nnimap+aol:INBOX...done
Scoring...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
Quit
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [9 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail sort gnus-cite smiley ansi-color shr-color
color shr dom subr-x browse-url mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp
gnus-ml disp-table cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc mm-archive jka-compr
timezone url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth url-handlers utf-7 rfc2104
nnfolder network-stream nsm starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache epa-file epa derived
nnreddit mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs url-vars json map seq byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig mailcap cl gv sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls
gnutls utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message dired
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo
nnheader gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 341497 43309)
 (symbols 48 125854 0)
 (miscs 40 215 249)
 (strings 32 108374 6729)
 (string-bytes 1 3799327)
 (vectors 16 26887)
 (vector-slots 8 926120 60648)
 (floats 8 571 497)
 (intervals 56 11919 146)
 (buffers 976 45)
 (heap 1024 65802 17295))