Subject: [bug#29542] rng-tools: New upstream location, new releases

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 03:33:43 +0100

Leo,

Leo Famulari wrote on 04/12/17 at 19:45:
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:49:09PM +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
>> Hm. Looks legit, no?
> 
> I think so but one can never be sure :)

Indeed, at least a signature would have been nice... :-/

> I started looking at this package because I'm interested in improving
> the situation with the Linux RNG for virtualized GuixSD. Rng-tool's rngd
> seems to have a part to play here. I think it would be better to keep the
> closure small since it could potentially end up deployed widely.

Oh. If this is going to end up as a dependency on certain systems, I
certainly agree that changes things! Somebody using it for crypto is
unlikely to be simulating Monte Carlos, and one presumes vice versa.

> How about we disable the NIST beacon support for now, and add
> 'rng-tools-minimal' later if the feature is requested?

Yeah, when we're inundated with e-mails. Sounds good to me!

Kind regards,

T G-R