Subject: Re: bug#29541: 27.0.50; Use generic function when restoring eieio-persistent, remove validation

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 22:28:44 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> The attached patch is a proposal that would replace the function
> `eieio-persistent-convert-list-to-object' with a generic method
> `eieio-persistent-make-instance'. It also removes all slot validation in
> the read process.
>
> Considerations:
>
> 1. `object-write' is already a method. That means the writing process
> can be overridden and customized, but the reading process can't, which
> removes most of the benefit of being able to override the write. This
> would allow "matching" methods for writing and reading.

This makes sense, and having a method instead of a function here
certainly seems cleaner...

Did anybody with a deeper knowledge of the eieio machinery provide any
feedback?  It's a quite large patch...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no