Subject: 24.3; feature request---display of highlighted region info

From: Ruslan Nabioullin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 15:28:15 -0500

Hello, I wish to request a feature that I believe will provide utility
without being a significant burden.  When performing some types of
low-level textual data manipulation, it's often necessary to perform
cut-and-pastes of a certain number of lines or characters, or to simply
find out such information for some region of text.  Beyond such a
primitive mode, the same feature might find use in modes of higher
abstractions, such as the simple example of C sourcecode (e.g., some
number of function definitions in a region).

To this end I propose that such information, the type(s) dependent upon
the mode, be determined and unobtrusively displayed, in real-time, upon
the highlighting of a region.  E.g., in a simple text buffer,
highlighting a region of text with a mouse and moving the lower boundary
of it around will result in there being a dynamically-generated message
box next to the mouse pointer, at a certain opacity, stating, e.g.,
``387 chars, 12 lines'', ``14 chars'', etc.

-Ruslan

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2017-09-19 on lcy01-35, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS

-- 
Ruslan Nabioullin
Wittgenstein Laboratories
[email-masked]
(508) 523-8535
50 Louise Dr.
Hollis, NH 03049