Subject: bug#29537: closed (Re: bug#29537: Core updates broken)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 12:55:03 +0000

Your bug report

#29537: Core updates broken

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
29537: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29537
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#29537: Core updates broken
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: Gábor Boskovits <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 13:54:18 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> From 41677631be815d58c36052de7b54d297ad496ec1 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
>> From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2017 02:32:16 +0100
>> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: glibc: Don't use full version string in locale path.
>>
>> This is a follow-up to commit ee3ebf1a357bd4eb36a2fa1790a7b549cffb305a.
>> Fixes <https://bugs.gnu.org/29537>.
>>
>> * gnu/packages/base.scm (glibc/linux)[version]: Change to 2.26.91-gaaa2eb83b8.
>> [source](uri): Adjust accordingly.
>> [arguments]: Use VERSION-MAJOR+MINOR for locales path.
>> (glibc-locales, glibc-utf8-locales): Likewise.
>> * guix/profiles.scm (ca-certificate-bundle, profile-derivation): Likewise.
>
> Good catch!  That looks good to me (along with the guix/packages.scm
> occurrence you found.)

OK, pushed!

Now, it would be good to do a final update of glibc so we get the fix
for CVE-2017-15804 and a few other things.  Could you upload a new
tarball for glibc-2.26-105-g0890d5379c.tar.xz?  I'm getting
"0m8cnp2nik0596adwibhl0f3w649m57i3qciqwpwiix7y0sb7vhi" for it.

Subject: Core updates broken
From: Gábor Boskovits <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 21:12:48 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

It seems, that we have a breakage in current core-updates. m4, gettext, and
at least a few other packages fail to build.

We had a discussion about that on irc, here are the important points:

[09:34:53] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567250> * g_bor
has joined #guix
[09:34:58] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567251> <g_bor> Hello
guix!
[09:37:37] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567253> <g_bor> I
just tried to build something no core-updates and m4 and python-boot0 does
not build, I get a message that a decoding error occured in exception
dispatcher. It seem like it's locale related, I'm on hu_HU.UTF-8
[09:38:03] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567254> <g_bor> I'm
tring this now on master to see if the problem persists.
[09:38:10] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567255> <g_bor> Anyone
seen that?
[16:46:05] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567672>
<civodul> mb[m]1:
you were right about the failing installation tests
[16:46:16] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567673> <civodul> it
did work a couple of days ago though, so there's hope
[16:47:16] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567675>
<mb[m]1> civodul:
Any idea what caused it? Haven't been paying attention lately.
[16:47:24] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567676> *
kristofer has joined #guix
[16:53:03] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567677>
<civodul> mb[m]1:
no idea yet, let's see
[16:54:11] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567678> <mb[m]1> I
don't understand why core-updates is failing. I've bisected glibc down to
the first two commits on the 2.26 branch, and also tried reverting the
libatomic-ops update.
[16:54:35] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567679>
<civodul> how's
it failing?
[16:54:41] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567680> <civodul> well
maybe i should focus on one thing at a time :-)
[16:54:46] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567681> <mb[m]1> So
the culprit is likely one of these:
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=665ce88d68fd13c5c...
<https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=665ce88d68fd13c5c4cbaf2808434c618745137c>
 and
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=dc258ce62ae0bbb45...
<https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=dc258ce62ae0bbb456c6a855dbb6b384ecf7e988>
[16:55:27] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567682> * jonsger
has joined #guix
[16:55:31] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567683>
<mb[m]1> civodul:
"m4" and a few others fail like this: https://paste.debian.net/998765/
[16:55:36] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567684>
<civodul> you'll
find yourself being a libc hacker without noticing
[16:55:41] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567685> <mb[m]1>
Hehe.
[16:56:24] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567686> <civodul> in
this case it's the 'configure' file that leads to a decoding error
[16:56:28] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567687>
<civodul> could
you check its encoding?

[16:57:52] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567689> <mb[m]1> I
don't currently have the files. But I had built much further before the
glibc update (with the C++ fixes only).
[16:57:56] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567690> * jonsger
has joined #guix
[17:00:55] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567693> <mb[m]1> I
unpacked the m4 source and ran `file` on it:
[17:00:57] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567694>
<mb[m]1> configure:
POSIX shell script, UTF-8 Unicode text executable
[17:01:24] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567695> <civodul> so
it could be an issue with iconv in the new libc
[17:06:59] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567697> *
ryanwatkins has joined #guix
[17:11:08] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567699> <g_bor>
hello!
[17:11:18] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567700> <g_bor> Anyone
seen this?
[17:11:30] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567701> <g_bor> It's
on core-updates:
[17:11:51] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567702>
<g_bor> starting
phase `patch-usr-bin-file' Backtrace: 16 (primitive-load
"/gnu/store/4jf0jcpvjn6r2warav5xmxhmddf?") In ice-9/eval.scm: 191:35 15 (_
_) In srfi/srfi-1.scm: 863:16 14 (every1 #<procedure 9b0b40 at
/gnu/store/yifqwmdxc4pmd?> ?) In
/gnu/store/yifqwmdxc4pmdpm73diq03lqkprnrizn-module-import/guix/build/gnu-build-system.scm:
711:27 13 (_ _) 171:4 12 (patch-usr-bin-file #:native-inputs _ #:inputs _ #
_) In srfi/srfi
[17:13:38] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567703>
<civodul> g_bor:
mb[m]1 was just reporting the exact same issue :-)
[17:13:45] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567704>
<mb[m]1> g_bor:
Yes, I'm currently trying to track it down.
[17:14:36] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567705> <g_bor> I've
also seen it on python-boot0, slightly different message.
[17:14:55] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567706> <g_bor> Can
this be locale related?
[17:15:05] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567707> <g_bor> I
have hu_HU.utf8 here.
[17:16:04] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567708> * civodul
has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[17:17:26] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567709>
<g_bor> mb[m]1:
can I be of assistance?
[17:18:19] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567711> * civodul
has joined #guix
[17:18:42] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567713>
<mb[m]1> g_bor:
The failure happens in the build container which uses a fixed locale (C?).
[17:19:17] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567714> <g_bor> Ok,
then it's not that.
[17:19:38] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567715> <g_bor> It
just seemd to be some character conversion error...
[17:20:08] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567716> <g_bor> Maybe
some invalid charaters leaked in somehow...
[17:20:15] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567717> <g_bor> Wait
a sec...
[17:22:51] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567719> <g_bor> It
seems, that a lot of packages are broken.
[17:23:01] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567720> <g_bor> I
laso got that for gettext.
[17:26:26] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567721> *
xkapastel has joined #guix
[17:30:38] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567723> <mb[m]1> Can
it be ncurses related?
[17:31:12] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567724> <g_bor> Might
be...
[17:31:21] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567725> <g_bor> did
not checked that.
[17:32:01] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567726>
<mb[m]1> g_bor:
Can you see if reverting 667082d59104d4b964dce878f5e8c0f8ad1be958 makes a
difference?
[17:32:24] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567727> <g_bor> Ok,
i will try that
[17:36:36] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567731> <g_bor> Do
we know about what was the last time it was working?
[17:36:58] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567732> <g_bor> We
could do a git bisect on core-updates?
[17:37:13] <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-12-02#T1567733> <g_bor> Do
we have a good commit to start from?
[18:40] <g_bor> Ok, now it's building.
[18:40] <g_bor> I think this will take a time...
[18:41] <g_bor> (guile does take some time :) )
[18:42] <g_bor> I'm trying to help to switch the default icedtea to
icedtea-8, and we'd like to that on core-updates...
[18:43] <g_bor> I've just written on the mailing list, that it would be
nice if we could have substitutes for the core-updates gnu-build-system.
[18:43] <g_bor> That could speed things like this up.
[18:50] <efraim> mb[m]1: just popped in for a second, core-updates is
failing on aarch64 also
[18:50] <efraim> civodul too ^
[18:52] <g_bor> Oh, well.
[18:52] <g_bor> Do we have a bug report on that already?
[18:53] <g_bor> Now I'm trying what mb[m]1 suggested, by reverting the
ncurses commit.
[18:54] <g_bor> It might be easier to track related information in a bug...

[20:52] <g_bor> reverting 667082d59104d4b964dce878f5e8c0f8ad1be958 did not
help

Does anyone know of a last working commit id?

I'm trying to seen if it's working after last merge of master, but if
someone knows a later point to start investigating the issue would help.

It would also help, if someone with a more powerful computer could help, as
building on mine is very slow.