Subject: bug#29525: Please don't default to "--unique" mode for Okular

From: Mosè Giordano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2017 17:32:59 +0100

2017-12-03 10:26 GMT+01:00 Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>:
>> If you are working with many documents at the same time (say 3-4 or
>> even more) switching between Emacs and the wanted document can be
>> really annoying, using C-c C-v brings to focus the right instance of
>> the viewer.  This is what Evince does and is much more convenient.
>
>
> I agree, but this is a problem to solve with the window manager, not the
> application behaviour.

I don't see how it's a problem of the windows manager.  I happen to
have several programs open at the same time and often switch between
them.  For example, I'm using the terminal, than switch to Emacs and
want to see the output document.  The next window that can be reached
by ALT + TAB is the terminal, not Okular, how could the window manager
guess I want to switch directly to the document viewer?

I missed to stress one important point of C-c C-v: when forward search
is enabled --- and I guess most of us has it on --- C-c C-v moves the
viewer to the corresponding point, this isn't something that can be
achieved by simply switching to the viewer with ALT + TAB.  Thus,
removing the --unique option now would make extremely annoying using
forward search with Okular.

As I already stated, I agree that currently working with multiple
documents can be inconvenient, but breaking usage of forward search
doesn't look a solution to me.  Fixing the behavior of Okular seems a
better approach.  After that, the --unique option is surely not needed
anymore.

Bye,
Mosè