Subject: 27.0.50; Compilation errors grab frame focus

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 16:29:56 -0800

I've noticed over the past few weeks (couple of months?) that, while
updating packages, any compilation errors result in the *Package List*
frame grabbing focus.

I start a package upgrade, switch to some other program, and then (some
packages produce a lot of errors!) start a focus tug-of-war with the
Emacs frame where the compilation is going on.

I am on arch linux, with no DE, running i3 directly on X. I note that if
I move to a different workspace, compilation errors cause the workspace
where the frame lives to turn red (which seems to be the i3 behavior for
frames with warnings or notifications or whatever the X terminology is),
but I'm not yanked back there. If I'm in that workspace, however, the
Emacs frame keeps jumping to the fore.

I've looked through the Emacs git log to see if anything jumps out as
having been changed, but most of the frame/focus stuff seems NS-related.
But I'm pretty sure this is new behavior.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 13, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.26)
 of 2017-11-30 built on slip
Repository revision: 3f3d98ee5851840228786390ee7dbf851d144eb8
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11905000