Subject: Re: bug#29516: Maxima fails to build

From: Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 15:58:38 +0100

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:

> Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 11:53:01AM +0100, Diego Nicola Barbato wrote:
>>>> `guix build maxima' fails during the `check' phase with the following
>>>> output:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your report!
>
> FYI, the Maxima builds started failing after the recent upgrade to
> 'gcl'.  I raised the issue here:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-11/msg00341.html
>
> The person who upgraded 'gcl' first said that he could reproduce the
> build failure locally, and then said that he couldn't.  I'm not sure
> what happened there.
>
>       Mark

This seems to be quite a strange issue indeed:  Out of curiosity I tried
the same thing in a VM (guix system vm-image) and even though it is the
same architecture (x86_64) and the same commit 
(e2721a05e7d778bdf845b7cb7a42fd9f76095b69) guix consistently succeeds to
build maxima in the VM while it consistently fails to build on my
laptop.  I also tried building with only one core on my laptop and
running the VM with two cores (qemu-system-x86_64 -smp cores=2) with the
same result.  `guix build maxima' only fails on the VM when I run it
with `--rounds=2' because the outputs differ.

Diego