Subject: 25.3; bounds-of-thing-at-point for nested s-expressions?

From: James Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 23:54:17 -0800

I’m curious if this is expected?

;; (bounds-of-thing-at-point ‘sexp)

Cursor is after ending paren of line.

(+ 1 1) ;; M-: (bounds-of-thing-at-point ‘sexp) -> returns (x . y)

(+ 1 1
   (+ 1 1) ;; M-: (bounds-of-thing-at-point ‘sexp) -> returns nil
   )

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin16.7.0, NS appkit-1504.83 Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G29))
 of 2017-09-14 built on d12frosted.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1504
Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus/25.3/share/info/emacs
 --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus/25.3 --with-xml2 --without-dbus
 --with-gnutls --with-imagemagick --with-modules --with-rsvg --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
NS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Mark activated
C-h C-g is undefined
Quit
Starting new Ispell process /usr/local/bin/ispell with default dictionary...
Spell-checking *scratch* using ispell with default dictionary...
Spell-checking suspended; use C-u M-$ to resume
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
nil [2 times]
(179 . 194)
nil
(203 . 210)

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra
help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib ispell thingatpt
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue cocoa ns
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 199060 6158)
 (symbols 48 20009 0)
 (miscs 40 66 230)
 (strings 32 16544 6055)
 (string-bytes 1 474807)
 (vectors 16 33203)
 (vector-slots 8 653079 5045)
 (floats 8 161 225)
 (intervals 56 240 18)
 (buffers 976 18))