Subject: bug#29497: 26.0.90; doc strings of minor modes

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 20:47:01 -0800 (PST)

Other bug reports have requested that minor-mode doc strings follow more
closely what `define-minor-mode' has to say about minor modes.

This request adds to that.  How about trying to have `C-h f' somehow
detect minor-mode commands (at least those created by
`define-minor-mode', and change the first line of help output.

Instead of something like this:

abbrev-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `abbrev.el'.

It might say something like this:

abbrev-mode is a compiled minor-mode command in `abbrev.el'.

Or perhaps the fact that the command is a minor-mode command could just
be added systematically to the doc string itself.  Indicating to users
in some way that the command is a minor-mode command would be helpful.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.90 (build 3, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2017-10-13 built on LAPHROAIG
Repository revision: 906224eba147bdfc0514090064e8e8f53160f1d4
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS