Subject: Re: bug#29450: 26.0.90; No check for nil in some filenotify functions

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 08:45:27 +0100

John Wiegley <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi John,

> I've had file-notify back on for a few days now, and this has not happened
> again, so I'm fine with closing this issue.

I do it herewith.

> However -- and this is a separate bug -- I had to disable it again because it
> was stalling out Emacs regularly. I'd ran an operation that changed the state
> of the disk, and then Emacs would be locked up for minutes at a time until I
> hit C-g repeatedly. Finally, I ran Instruments to see what was going on, and
> it was stuck in a busy loop reading directories, spending 92% of its time
> calling delq over and over again.

In function `file-notify-handle-event', there's a commented `message'
call. Could you enable this, and send the output when this problem
happens, again?

> But that's a separate issue, and disabling file-notify cured the performance
> problem.

Do you write another bug report for this?

Best regards, Michael.