Subject: Re: bug#29450: 26.0.90; No check for nil in some filenotify functions

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2018 22:48:39 -0800

>>>>> "MA" == Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

MA> I have the feeling that it isn't the return value of
MA> `find-file-name-handler' being nil, but rather the
MA> `file-notify--watch-directory' call.

I've had file-notify back on for a few days now, and this has not happened
again, so I'm fine with closing this issue.

However -- and this is a separate bug -- I had to disable it again because it
was stalling out Emacs regularly. I'd ran an operation that changed the state
of the disk, and then Emacs would be locked up for minutes at a time until I
hit C-g repeatedly. Finally, I ran Instruments to see what was going on, and
it was stuck in a busy loop reading directories, spending 92% of its time
calling delq over and over again.

But that's a separate issue, and disabling file-notify cured the performance
problem.

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2