Subject: Re: bug#29450: 26.0.90; No check for nil in some filenotify functions

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 10:13:11 +0100

John Wiegley <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

Sorry to jump in such late; I've overlooked this thread before.

>>>> I've been getting several errors with a backtrace like nil(48). This is
>>>> likely because some package has done something wrong, but even still,
>>>> filenotify should be more defensive.
>>> 
>>> Can you show a full backtrace like that?
>
> I worked around this with (setq auto-revert-use-notify nil). If it doesn't
> happen for anyone else, you can close it. I'll look into it again if I ever
> decide to re-enable this.

I still would like to see a full backtrace. You have quoted

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
      (when-let* ((watch (gethash descriptor file-notify-descriptors)))
        (let ((handler (find-file-name-handler
                        (file-notify--watch-directory watch)
                        'file-notify-rm-watch)))
 --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I have the feeling that it isn't the return value of
`find-file-name-handler' being nil, but rather the
`file-notify--watch-directory' call.

Best regards, Michael.