Subject: bug#29446: GNU grep 3.1 fails test suite when PCRE lacks JIT

From: "A. Wilcox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 15:35:03 -0600

Hi there grep developers,

I'm trying to package GNU grep 3.1 on 64-bit PowerPC (big-endian) for
our Linux distribution, Adélie Linux.  It seems to be working quite
well, except there is a failing test: pcre-jitstack.

"grep: internal PCRE error: -21" (which is PCRE_ERROR_RECURSIONLIMIT)
is printed.  I believe that this is because we have to disable JIT on
the ppc64 platform (because the JIT compiler is badly broken on it).

I am not very familiar with either of the grep or PCRE codebases so I
am not sure exactly how to best skip the test when PCRE does not have
JIT support enabled.  Otherwise, I would have included a patch.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
- --arw

- -- 
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux
http://adelielinux.org