Subject: Re: bug#29427: Problem sending emails in message-mode after restart

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 10:33:39 -0800

Emmanuel Boudreault <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I seem to be having an odd bug sending e-mails. I've configured msmtp to
> send e-mails. When I first send an e-mail in emacs, 'send-mail-function'
> isn't defined, I get a prompt, I choose transport and everything works
> as expected. The msmtp log shows that the from field is properly set to
> [email-masked]'. This keeps working until emacs is
> restarted.
>
> When I restart emacs, 'send-mail-function' is defined. When I try to
> send an e-mail, it fails saying the From field is incorrect. When I look
> at the From field in the msmtp log it shows that emacs generated a From
> field even though there was a valid one in the e-mail header. The From
> field is: [email-masked]'.
> The 'send-mail-function' is set to '(quote sendmail-send-it)'.

This happens when the variable `user-mail-address' is not set (or
`message-user-fqdn', or `mail-host-address'). I assume you have one of
those variables set in one of your init files, and that init file is not
automatically loaded.

I'm not sure how `send-mail-function' comes into it, and am a bit
confused by your report: you say when you first send an email in emacs,
it isn't set, but later say when you restart emacs, it is defined.

Anyway, if you're using something based on message-mode, you should
probably just set `message-send-mail-function' directly.

HTH,
Eric