Subject: [bug#29409] [PATCH 1/4] build: vm: Use netdev qemu parameter.

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 18:36:29 +0100

Hi Ludo,

> IIUC the “user” part means that it does more than just update to the new
> syntax: it also enable user-level networking support (built-in DHCP
> server, etc.).  Is this correct?
>
> If so, can we leave out “user”?

Well it seems that you're right, "-net nic" is not functionnaly
equivalent to "-net user" (=== "-netdev user").

However, "-net nic" does not seem to be supported with -M virt on
qemu-system-arm :

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
qemu-system-arm -M virt -net nic
Warning: requested NIC (anonymous, model unspecified) was not created
(not supported by this machine?)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

trying to get a list of available devices (as explained in man page),
gives :

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
qemu-system-arm -M virt -net nic,model=help
Warning: requested NIC (anonymous, model help) was not created (not
supported by this machine?)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So it seems that on ARM we will have to use "-netdev user", would it be a
problem to use it too on intel systems ?

Thanks,

Mathieu