Subject: bug#29398: closed (Re: bug#29398: company-minimum-prefix-length)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 08:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#29398: company-minimum-prefix-length

which was filed against the auctex package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
29398: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29398
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#29398: company-minimum-prefix-length
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Mosè Giordano <[email-masked]>
Cc: Frederik Beaujean <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 09:04:42 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all,

I've removed the code.  The argument that many users also use the
dabbrev company backend in combination with the native completion of the
mode made sense.  In that case, you might have thousands of completions
with a too short prefix length.

Bye,
Tassilo

Subject: company-minimum-prefix-length
From: Frederik Beaujean <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 10:11:36 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear auctex developers,

I'm using auctex with the company completion system. The problem is that

company-minimum-prefix-length

is ignored in tex files. This is annoying when typesetting math with the
usual single-character symbols like |i| or |n| because I have to press
C-g multiple times to turn of the completion overlay.

I had initially posted this issue on github with spacemacs and
company-auctex, it affects several people as well

https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/9388

https://github.com/alexeyr/company-auctex/issues/18

The root of the problems seems this code in auctex/tex.el in v11.91

|;; By default, company completions kick in after a prefix of 3 chars has
;; been typed. Since we don't have too many completions, that's too ;;
much. (set (make-local-variable 'company-minimum-prefix-length) 1))) |

|I don't |understand the explanation given for creating this local
variable. I request that it be removed or done in such a way that it
doesn't override global user settings.

bye

Fred
||