Subject: bug#2938 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: 23.0.91; elisp.info: auto-resize-tool-bars)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 02:20:05 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#2938: 23.0.91; elisp.info: auto-resize-tool-bars

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
2938: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2938
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 23.0.91; elisp.info: auto-resize-tool-bars
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: Stephen Eglen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 22:14:31 -0400

I've checked in some changes to the manual, based on your suggestions.
Thanks.

Subject: 23.0.91; elisp.info: auto-resize-tool-bars
From: Stephen Eglen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Stephen Eglen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:04:17 +0100

In the elisp.info, there is reference to the variable:

 -- Variable: auto-resize-tool-bar
     If this variable is non-`nil', the tool bar automatically resizes
     to show all defined tool bar items--but not larger than a quarter
     of the frame's height.

     If the value is `grow-only', the tool bar expands automatically,
     but does not contract automatically.  To contract the tool bar, the
     user has to redraw the frame by entering `C-l'.

I think that should be 'auto-resize-tool-bars'.  Also, from my limited
experimentation, it seems that variable does not apply on unix with gtk
or mac (under nextstep); if a frame is narrowed, the toolbar gains a
right-arrow icon which shows the remaining icons, rather than moving the
icons onto a second line.  Should the doc string mention this
restriction?  In the elisp.info file, when describing Layout Parameters,
it does say:

`tool-bar-lines'
     The number of lines to use for the tool bar.  A value of `nil'
     means don't display a tool bar.  (GTK allows at most one tool bar
     line; it treats larger values as 1.)

which confirms to me that GTK will not show multi-line tool bars.  But I
also saw the same behaviour on the mac under nextstep.

Stephen

In GNU Emacs 23.0.91.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4)
 of 2009-03-13 on maps
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10502000
configured using `configure  '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-xft''