Subject: RE: bug#29360: 26.0; Add full-buffer choice for `isearch-lazy-highlight'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 22:47:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Juri,

It would really be good if this enhancement were made - for the
reasons I gave in bug #21092, and for other reasons. You asked me
(in bug #21092) to file this bug if I thought we needed such a
full-buffer possibility. This enhancement request was the result.

Did you not have a patch that took care of this? IIRC you then found
a problem with it wrt `follow-mode', but I thought you had a solution
for that too. (I thought the latter solution was provided by Artur's
`all-windows' value for `isearch-lazy-highlight' etc., which was added.)

There really is no comparison with hi-lock. Only Isearch provides
incremental matching (with highlighting) for a regexp etc. Being
able to try a search pattern, see the result as you type, adjust it,
etc. is very handy.

Then being able to leave the highlighting turned on (via nil
`lazy-highlight-cleanup') means you can do all kinds of things with
the resulting highlighted text. I do this now, but lack the ability to
force highlighting the full buffer. That was my aim in bug #21092.

What's the status of this feature? Can we add it to Emacs now?
I hope so.