Subject: Re: bug#29357: Cut and paste problems on Linux on a text virtual console no longer works

From: "Dr. Michael L. Dowling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 11:53:31 +0200

Hello, Stefan!

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 01:48:30PM -0700, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> "Dr. Michael L. Dowling" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > If I can be of any further assistance I would be willing to try, but I'd
> > need somebody to suggest how.
> 
> My idea was simply to test e.g. vim (or some $FOO text editor) and see
> how well it works with regards to split screen support.  But I guess
> they would have to do something similar to us according to what Alan has
> reported.  So I'm actually not sure that testing it will help much...

I've just downloaded vim, and, yes, cut-and-paste works with vim.

Personally, I prefer vi  as it is POSIX conforming.  You  can use the vi
on any  UNIX machine, and  cut-and-paste works with  the vi on  my Linux
computers.

The  trouble  with  the  vi  is  that  it  screws  up  indentation  with
cut-and-paste.  So I've used nano  instead, and cut-and-paste works with
that, too.

For me, the  burning question is whether or not  others can replicate my
experience with emacs.

The great thing  about Arch Linux is that we  configure stuff ourselves.
But the danger is that a  configuration that is continually being copied
with every  new computer  might well  propagate problems  resulting from
incompatibilities between various software releases.

I  try to  be cautious.   On this  machine, I  copied my  old /etc  to a
subdirectory  of /root,  and  inspected every  file  before copying  and
editing.

The problem  cannot lie with  individual user configuration, as  my user
"joe" only has a .bash_logout that deletes everything except itself, and
"joe" suffers  from the  same problem.  ("joe"  doesn't have  a ~/.emacs
file

> > I  had come  to the  conclusion  that I  was  one of  the last  die-hard
> > Linux/text-mode/command line users.
> 
> (You might enjoy hearing that RMS also uses Emacs on the Linux console.)

Interesting!  I have always had a great deal of respect for RMS.

Cheers,

Mike

-- 
Dr. Michael L. Dowling
Gaußstr. 27
38106 Braunschweig
Germany