Subject: Re: bug#29357: Cut and paste problems on Linux on a text virtual console no longer works

From: "Dr. Michael L. Dowling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 21:36:24 +0200

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 08:46:40AM -0700, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> > There are several annoyances with this way of working - if you've got
> > side-by-side windows, you've really got to get rid of all but the
> > pertinent window before being able to mark text with the mouse; when you
> > yank text in with the middle button, linefeeds misbehave, giving
> > indentation where none is wanted.  For all that, having GPM is better
> > than not having it.
> 
> This is very useful information, thank you.  If I understand you
> correctly, this is a limitation in GPM, and not in Emacs.  Maybe some
> interested party could report this as a feature request to GPM.
> 
> BTW, maybe someone could test and see if this works with some other
> program that also splits the display to see if it has the same problem.

If I can be of any further assistance I would be willing to try, but I'd
need somebody to suggest how.

> I suppose that means that this bug should be closed?  Or is there
> anything more we should do?

I  had come  to the  conclusion  that I  was  one of  the last  die-hard
Linux/text-mode/command line users.  Were that  to be the case, it would
be unreasonable of me to expect people to work to fix it. But apparently
I'm not the last die-hard user.  But then, why have others not also made
bug reports?

This is a very old bug report.   Since nobody reacted to it, I concluded
that nobody was using text-mode.  Then truecrypt stopped development, so
I adopted  veracrypt instead.  It  worked fine,  except in text  mode it
yielded error messages  from a graphics library.   Since it nevertheless
worked,  I  did not  make  a  bug  report.   I expected  somebody  would
eventually fix it,  but nobody did, until a few  weeks ago, years later.
But that reinforced my conclusion that text-mode was not being used.

If I  can help in any  way, please let  me know.  I personally  have not
noticed any other strange behavious of  GPM, but, with a pointer or two,
I could investigate this.

Cheers,

Mike

-- 
Dr. Michael L. Dowling
Gaußstr. 27
38106 Braunschweig
Germany