Subject: Re: bug#29346: dwim transpose-subr opportunity?

From: Tomas Nordin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 14:35:22 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think this would be a source of inadvertent mistakes and
> annoyances.  Transient Mark mode is on by default, which means M-t can
> frequently do something the user didn't intend it to, just because the
> region happened to be active.  A similar situation exists with typing

Is an example of that the following

    ^Jack and Jill over ^jumped the hill.

The first '^' is for the mark and next is for point, making an active
region, and now I hit M-t because I wanted to swap 'over' with 'jump',
but instead I swapped 'Jack' with 'jumped'.

Just for my understanding. Or is there better examples?

>> It gets a bit silly as suggested though, I guess the logic should be
>> something like (or (= arg 0) (and transpose-dwim (use-region-p)))
>
> Maybe.  But I wonder why this relatively rare use case is so important
> as to mandate a new defcustom, whose only purpose is to save the user
> from typing M-0 or "C-u 0".  Just because people didn't read the doc

I was mostly thinking not to disturb the long lasting default I think,
or the possible annoyances as you say.