Subject: Re: bug#29326: 26.0.90; Emacs crash on running comment-dwim

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 20:29:52 +0200

> From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 18:18:51 +0000
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> Yes, I realized that.. a bit late.. I already killed that gdb session and started emacs rebuild.

That was a mistake, on two counts: first, you didn't need to kill the
GDB session; and second, the changes I made to fix the problem
reported by Richard didn't need Emacs to be rebuilt, because .gdbinit
does not affect the build in any way.

> Lesson learned: "gdb ./src/emacs" is not the same as "cd src; gdb ./emacs".

I think there's a more important lesson here: please do not rush to
conclusions in these matters, especially when you have a crashed Emacs
session in GDB and bump into unexpected behavior you don't understand.
Please ask your questions when things don't work as expected, and then
please wait patiently until you receive the answers, before you act.
No one expects you to do this stuff at once, and nothing bad will ever
happen if you refrain from acting until you understand completely what
you should do and how.

TIA