Subject: Re: bug#29323: kill-do-not-save-duplicate, FR

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 15:48:02 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> I personally can't imagine when I would want the behaviour you ask
> for, but I think it could make sense to have it as an optional
> behaviour.
>
> Drew suggested that this variable should have three possible values,
> where 't' and 'nil' stays as they are, but we introduce a new symbol
> which means to have the behaviour you want.  I think this is a better
> proposal than changing the existing default.

I don't really see this being generally useful even as an option -- it
makes kill/yank into a completely unpredictable pair of commands, and
that sounds really confusing.

So I think if somebody really wants this, they'll just have to advice
the kill command to remove duplicates (or something like that), but I
don't think we should add such a feature to Emacs, and I'm therefore
closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no