Subject: bug#29323: kill-do-not-save-duplicate, FR

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 03:14:38 +0100

Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 16.11.2017 20:51, Andreas Rvhler wrote:
>
>  Feature request:
>
>  Currently variable kill-do-not-save-duplicates checks only the (car kill-ring) as docu explains: 
>
>  Do not add a new string to kill-ring if it duplicates the last one.
>  The comparison is done using equal-including-properties.
>
>  AFAIU it would be trivial replace this check by a call of "member", thus checking the whole kill-ring.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Andreas
>
> This variant of kill-new should do it. Diff basically at comment " ;; delete string from kill-ring" 

I personally can't imagine when I would want the behaviour you ask
for, but I think it could make sense to have it as an optional
behaviour.

Drew suggested that this variable should have three possible values,
where 't' and 'nil' stays as they are, but we introduce a new symbol
which means to have the behaviour you want.  I think this is a better
proposal than changing the existing default.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas