Subject: Re: bug#29323: kill-do-not-save-duplicate, FR

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 20:06:54 +0100

On 16.11.2017 23:34, Drew Adams wrote:
>> Currently variable kill-do-not-save-duplicates checks only the (car 
>> kill-ring) as docu explains: Do not add a new string to ‘kill-ring’ 
>> if it duplicates the last one. The comparison is done using 
>> ‘equal-including-properties’. AFAIU it would be trivial replace this 
>> check by a call of "member", thus checking > the whole kill-ring. 
> Why do that? Why not just prevent duplicates in the first place, which 
> is what the option currently does? If you for some reason get 
> duplicate entries somehow, in spite of using the option to prevent 
> them, you can always remove them. I don't understand how that would be 
> something that would happen normally. What is the problem that this 
> would try to solve/prevent? ---

Currently not a check for duplicates is implemented, but for a repeat.

When having alternating strings to copy, they go into the kill-ring one 
after one. That way it ended up having just two strings in the 
kill-ring, and previous content lost.

BTW implementing it would be a way more complicated as thought because 
of text properties.

> BTW - it's a pain to remove all of the formatting of your mails to 
> such lists. 

Hmm, don't you see a formatting when sending.

> Please consider using plain text, or at a minimum not using a colored 
> (i.e. non-white) background.

Switched on "Readers Default Colors", which should help.

> Just a request or suggestion.