Subject: bug#29321: Isearch hit count

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 20:35:26 -0700 (PDT)

I'm seeing a bug, I think, when I switch directions.  I
applied your patch manually, so perhaps I made a mistake,
but this is what I see:

E.g., I search for "ea" in the patched isearch.el, starting
about 1/2 way through the file, say at the beginning of the
line "(isearch-define-mode-toggle invisible..."

First, when I hit `C-s ea' I see 1248/2520, but then another
`C-s' shows 1249/2530 - the total has jumped by 10.

I continue searching forward, and the numbering seems normal:
1250/2530, 1251/2530.  OK, so the initial total was off by 10.

But at match #1251 I switch to `C-r', and the match number is
1241/2520: both the match number and the total are off by 10.

On a small buffer I don't notice this problem.

Do you see this too?  If not, maybe I patched mistakenly.

----

Another problem I see is that sometimes when I switch
directions no match number is displayed.  After a few
repeated searches in the new direction sometimes the match
number reappears.

E.g., I start and repeat a forward search for "ea" a few
lines before the end of the buffer, then I reverse to `C-r'.

But this problem is not reproducible reliably: sometimes
it happens, sometimes the match number is shown each time,
immediately.

Dunno whether you will see this one.  But if I didn't make
a mistake applying the patch (to vanilla isearch.el) then
I think you should be able to see the wrong-numbers problem.