Subject: bug#29303: 25.2; vc-git-grep should shell-escape FILES

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 21:36:09 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 21:17:35 +0100
>> 
>> > That's okay portability-wise, but why do you need split-string?
>> > AFAIU, grep-read-files reads a single pattern, no?
>> 
>> grep-read-files has support for grep-files-aliases which allows you to
>> eg say 'cc' and have it expand to "*.cc *.cxx *.cpp *.C *.CC *.c++"
>
> Ah.  So we lose support of patterns with embedded whitespace in order
> to support the aliases?  Is that desirable?

That's a good question. Note that interactively entering patterns with
a space is currently a pain, since grep-read-files uses
read-file-name-internal, which attempts to do completion if you type
<SPC>. So this would presumably only affect people who have changed
grep-files-aliases and have patterns with embedded whitespace.

Robert