Subject: bug#29291: tramp-test24-file-acl fails on hydra.nixos.org

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:42:50 +0100

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Glenn,

> I haven't bothered because the Emacs project as a whole seems to have
> little interest in hydra.nixos.org, eg apparently having decided to
> replace it with some Emacs-specific replacement that doesn't exist yet.
> And hydra jobs often remain broken for weeks at a time, due to trivial
> mistakes in Emacs, and no-one seems to care (I know you do look at Tramp
> issues there).

The problem with hydra is that notifications are not visible
prominently. Yes, there are emails from the Hydra Build Daemon. But they
are unspecific, I cannot see immediately whether I'm concerned. Often, I
check whether Tramp tests have failed, or something else I've
modified. But this takes too much time, so it is not integrated into the
workflow of most Emacs developers.

When the email could mention which test case or file has failed, in the
subject of the email, more people would care I believe. Or, even more
drastic, an Emacs bug shall be generated *automatically*, like the one
we are discussing here.

> Or you could merge emacs-26 to master, which would be quicker! :)

Well, I don't feel much comfortable with git, so I fear I could damage
something during merge. That's why I haven't done it yet. But thanks,
that you have performed it.

Looks like tramp-test24-file-acl still fails. Hmm, maybe there is a
serious Tramp bug, indeed. I'll continue to dig. For faster progress,
I'll add my traces in the master branch.

Best regards, Michael.