Subject: Re: [bug#29281] [PATCH] system: vm: Use linux-libre for system-disk-image.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 11:23:53 +0100

Hello,

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> What was the use case and rationale for you?
>
> The problematic use case was to try to produce a GuixSD arm installer
> for beaglebone black. The kernel linux-libre-arm-omap2plus I'm planning
> to use can't be used in qemu.

Oh, why is that?  You mean qemu-system-arm running natively on the BBB,
right?

> Plus, I'd like to use a raw-initrd because linux-libre-arm-omap2plus is
> quite a light kernel configuration. As system-disk-image asks for
> base-initrd, the required modules won't be find during image
> construction with omap kernel.

Perhaps we should change ‘system-disk-image’ to use a more minimalistic
initrd since all it needs is those virtio* drivers?

Thanks for explaining!

Ludo’.