Subject: bug#29272: 26.0.90; "C-h k C-mouse-3" followed by menu selection asks for more keys

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 16:57:40 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 20:56:30 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 18:37:17 +0000
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
> >   Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> > Personally, I think the value t is a bad idea, and we should obsolete
> > it.

> That's not going to fly.  We have absolutely no reason for making this
> obsolete.

> in any case, this discussion is not about double-click-time's purpose,
> it's about what should "C-h k" when it is not a number.  I proposed a
> practical solution; does anyone see a problem with it?

> > Maybe we should interpret t as a moderately long finite interval, say 10
> > seconds.

> 10 seconds is too long, I think 1 sec is much better.

I hope I'm not bikeshedding, but 1 second may be too little.  I'm
thinking about two use cases: (i) where a user's mouse button is almost
worn out, and it takes several attempted presses before one registers;
(ii) A disabled user who has physical difficulty in pressing the mouse
button, and needs that extra time to do so.  Either of these may be a
reason for setting double-click-time to t.

Maybe not as long as 10s.  How about compromising with the geometric
mean of 1s and 10s, namely 3.162s?

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).