Subject: Re: bug#29272: 26.0.90; "C-h k C-mouse-3" followed by menu selection asks for more keys

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 15:15:41 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 13:27:35 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 20:54:49 +0000
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> > The following patch attempts to catch and filter out obtrusive events.
> > Could you try it out, please, even though it's not perfect (see below).
> > It's based on the emacs-26 branch:

> Thanks, this seems to fix the problem.  I take it that you've verified
> it doesn't re-introduce the original bug?

> > However, the problem is that in C-h k  C-mouse-3
> > <select-something-from-the-menus>, we get a spurious "translation"
> > message in *Help*, looking something like:

> >     <C-down-mouse-3> <file> <new-file> (translated from <mouse-1> <new-file>) at
> >     that spot runs the command find-file (found in global-map), which is an
> >     interactive compiled Lisp function in `files.el'.

> > That was from a Linux tty session using gpm.  In X, I got the message

> >     .... (translated from <C-down-mouse-3> <C-down-mouse-3> ....)

> I only see this in a text-mode frame (in my case it's "<mouse-1>
> <indent-pp-sexp>").  On GUI frame, there's no "translation".

> > .  I don't believe this glitch has to do with my patch - I think it's
> > been there for some while, but this bug has prevented it being seen
> > before.

> I think you are right, as I see the same problem in Emacs 24.5.

> In any case, this is a much more minor bug than the one I reported, so
> please install your changes on the release branch.

DONE.  Though I changed the timeout from 0.001s to 0.01s, because I'd had
a bit of trouble with the shorter timeout with edebug in operation.

> Bonus points if you can find where does the "translation" come from.

I understand that, now.  If I can fix bug #29349 (the one I reported this
morning about read_key_sequence not being properly recursive), I can fix
the problems here with C-mouse-3 on Linux TTYs with GPM.  There might
also be problems on MS-Windows, though I haven't been able to verify or
test this at all.

> Thanks.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).