Subject: bug#29223: closed (Re: 26.0.90; [Regression][Emacs26] Problem in network stack)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 06:47:02 +0000

Your bug report

#29223: 26.0.90; [Regression][Emacs26] Problem in network stack

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
29223: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29223
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 26.0.90; [Regression][Emacs26] Problem in network stack
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: Nicolas Petton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 22:45:59 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Damien Cassou wrote:

> this fixes my problem! That was fast!

Thanks for checking; closing the bug report.

Subject: 26.0.90; [Regression][Emacs26] Problem in network stack
From: Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Nicolas Petton <[email-masked]>, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 06:16:58 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The commit "Avoid unnecessary rounding errors in timestamps" (3aee7b)
introduces a regression in the network stack. This can be seen while
using org-caldav and I managed to reproduce with emacs -Q (see attached
files).

Among the attached files, script.el is of the most importance. The first
call to `contact-server' works fine whereas the second triggers a
server-side error: 503 Service Unavailable. Unfortunately, you can't
directly reuse this script as it depends on a personal nextcloud
instance.

Reverting the commit fixes the bug. I added its author on CC.

commit 3aee7be62eaf8caef6f2fab31bee79674b3abbb7
Author: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sun Oct 22 01:04:36 2017 -0700

    Avoid unnecessary rounding errors in timestamps
    
    Avoid the rounding errors of float-time when it’s easy.  E.g.,
    replace (< (float-time a) (float-time b)) with (time-less-p a b).
    * lisp/desktop.el (desktop-save):
    * lisp/ecomplete.el (ecomplete-add-item):
    * lisp/epg.el (epg-wait-for-completion):
    * lisp/files.el (dir-locals-find-file, dir-locals-read-from-dir):
    * lisp/image-dired.el (image-dired-get-thumbnail-image)
    (image-dired-create-thumb-1):
    * lisp/info.el (info-insert-file-contents):
    * lisp/ls-lisp.el (ls-lisp-format-time):
    * lisp/net/ange-ftp.el (ange-ftp-file-newer-than-file-p)
    (ange-ftp-verify-visited-file-modtime):
    * lisp/net/rcirc.el (rcirc-ctcp-sender-PING):
    * lisp/textmodes/remember.el (remember-store-in-mailbox):
    * lisp/url/url-cookie.el (url-cookie-expired-p):
    Bypass float-time to avoid rounding errors.
    
    * lisp/files.el (dir-locals-find-file):

In GNU Emacs 26.0.90 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.21)
 of 2017-11-09 built on luz4
Repository revision: b23adf48bfe03332f508f088265a0c8162747cae
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11903000
System Description:	Fedora release 26 (Twenty Six)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --cache-file=/tmp/emacs.config.cache'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 94504 6564)
 (symbols 48 20339 1)
 (miscs 40 45 119)
 (strings 32 28291 1407)
 (string-bytes 1 748828)
 (vectors 16 13964)
 (vector-slots 8 492182 6318)
 (floats 8 49 68)
 (intervals 56 224 0)
 (buffers 992 12))

-- 
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill