Subject: bug#29222: closed (Re: bug#29222: 26.0.90; doc string of `search-invisible')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:07:02 +0000

Your bug report

#29222: 26.0.90; doc string of `search-invisible'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
29222: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29222
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#29222: 26.0.90; doc string of `search-invisible'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 12:06:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 21:00:29 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> This part of the doc string:
> 
>  When the value is 'open', if the text matched is made invisible by an
>  overlay having an 'invisible' property and that overlay has a property
>  'isearch-open-invisible', then incremental search will show the
>  contents.
> 
> would be clearer if it said "an overlay having a non-nil 'invisible'
> property" and "...has a non-nil property `isearch-open-invisible'.

Thanks, done on the release branch.

Subject: 26.0.90; doc string of `search-invisible'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 21:00:29 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This part of the doc string:

 When the value is 'open', if the text matched is made invisible by an
 overlay having an 'invisible' property and that overlay has a property
 'isearch-open-invisible', then incremental search will show the
 contents.

would be clearer if it said "an overlay having a non-nil 'invisible'
property" and "...has a non-nil property `isearch-open-invisible'.

Having a property is a bit ambiguous, or at least can be thought so.
Sure, it's true that one cannot tell the difference between not having
a property `foo' and having a property `foo' that has a value of nil.
Still, it's better to be explicit here, I think.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.90 (build 3, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2017-10-13 built on LAPHROAIG
Repository revision: 906224eba147bdfc0514090064e8e8f53160f1d4
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.

Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS