Subject: Re: bug#29207: info chmod

From: Bernhard Voelker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 11:53:33 +0100

On 11/08/2017 11:54 AM, kalle wrote:
> info chmod doesn't say, which users can apply it successfully. The same
> for info chown.

Well, it does - indirectly:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/chmod-invocation.html#chmod-invocation

  [...] This behavior depends on the policy and functionality of the
  underlying chmod system call. When in doubt, check the underlying
  system behavior.

Unfortunately, the above is mentioned in the context of set-
user-ID and set-group-ID, although it generally applies.

For GNU/Linux systems, this usually means that only root and the owner
of the file can chmod(2).

> Are the related man-pages also maintained by GNU coreutils? They also
> have the same deficiencies...

Also here, this is documented ... but also in the 'SETUID AND SETGID BITS'
context.

Have a nice day,
Berny