Subject: Re: bug#29202: 25.1.50; enhancement: list-package support for packages from git sources

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 02:17:45 +0200

Deric Bytes <[email-masked]> writes:

> Can list-packages be made to work with packages from git repositories 

[...]

> 5. If a git recipe is changed, a copy of the default is placed in a user
>    specified directory `users-git-recipe-dir'. Changes are made to that
>    recipe.  Any recipies in this directory will overshadow the default
>  recipies of the same name. This is so that after an update the users 
>   changes are not overwritten.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

I think this would be a bit on cross purposes of what package.el does --
it sounds more like a separate package manager (which might be fine).

But as an add-on to package.el, I don't think it would fit well, so I'm
closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no