Subject: Re: bug#29193: 26.0.90; Using (thing-at-point 'sexp) in flymake-diag-region might be suboptimal

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 12:39:16 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Rubocop can report warning when 'end' is at wrong column. It just
> reports the beginning column, of course.
>
> In ruby-mode, (thing-at-point 'sexp) signals an error at this position.
> I'm not sure exactly whether it's a problem in ruby-mode.
>
> But Flycheck uses (thing-at-poing 'symbol) for the same purpose, and the
> whole 'end' token gets highlighted (which is probably what we expect).
>
> In contrast, Flymake only highlights its first character ('e').

I had a look at the current `flymake-diag-region', and it does not use
(thing-at-point 'sexp) at present.  It does use (end-of-thing 'sexp),
though.

So is this problem still present?  There was no recipe for reproduction,
so it's not immediately clear.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no