Subject: bug#29189: closed (Re: bug#29189: 25.3; Dired does not work with binary filenames)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2018 06:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#29189: 25.3; Dired does not work with binary filenames

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
29189: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29189
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#29189: 25.3; Dired does not work with binary filenames
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Allen Li <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2018 09:12:28 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Allen Li <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2018 17:31:14 -0700
> 
> I believe this bug was fixed in 26?

Yes.  I even sent a message to that effect at the time I pushed the
changes, but I see now that I goofed with the bug address, so neither
the message nor the instruction to close the bug made it to the bug
tracker.  Reproducing the important part below:

   > From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
   > Cc: Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
   > Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 17:16:30 -0500
   >
   > > I found that the alternative patch below solves the original problem
   > > without any changes needed in files.el, and without introducing any
   > > performance hits.  Does anyone see a problem with this proposed patch?
   >
   > [ With Andreas's adjustment]  It looks sane to me.

   I'd still want Handa-san's review of the patch, but I went ahead and
   pushed it to the emacs-26 branch, and I'm closing the bug.

Thanks for pointing out this blunder.

Subject: 25.3; Dired does not work with binary filenames
From: Allen Li <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 01:03:24 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dired does not work with binary filenames

For example, create such a file with Bash:

touch $'\265'

1. Navigate to the directory containing said file with Dired
2. Mark file for deletion with d
3. x

Expected:

File deleted

Actual:

(file-error Removing old name No such file or directory /home/bob/tmp/\300\265)

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.19)
 of 2017-09-16 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11905000
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix