Subject: bug#29189: 25.3; Dired does not work with binary filenames

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:20:36 +0200

> From: Allen Li <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 22:59:56 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked], Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 12:44 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I don't understand why -b should be used at all.  In my testing, it
> > wasn't needed.  Maybe this depends on the locale?  What's yours?
> 
> en_US.UTF-8
> 
> Without -b, the filename in Dired is two binary characters, \300 and
> \265.  With -b, the filename in Dired is four characters, \265

Sorry, it seems I was confused.  You didn't originally say what file
name you expected to see in Dired.  If the expected file name is \265,
a single byte, but you see \300\265 instead, then the problem is not
in deletion, the problem is in how Dired prepares file names for
display.  I will look into that when I have time, if no one beats me
to it.