Subject: 25.3; pulse-momentary-highlight-region is not visible when region is active

From: Yury Bulka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 19:51:14 +0200

To reproduce:
1) Select some region in a buffer
2) eval:
   (pulse-momentary-highlight-region
     (region-beginning)
     (region-end))
3) No visual feedback is appearing

By contrast, evaluating something like:
   (pulse-momentary-highlight-region (- (point) 5) (point))
results in the area around point highlighted as expected.

The steps were tested in emacs --no-init.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.19)
 of 2017-09-15 built on buildvm-29.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11903000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: uk_UA.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  erc-dcc-mode: t
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  erc-notifications-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-keep-place-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Back to top level
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0
Mark set
Quit [2 times]
[nil 23040 40878 707807 0.03 pulse-tick ((23040 40879 7801 46999)) nil 365000]
Mark set
[nil 23040 40881 424343 0.03 pulse-tick ((23040 40881 724335 258999)) nil 904000]
Quit [2 times]
No server buffers remain to edit
You can run the command ‘delete-frame’ with C-x 5 0

Load-path shadows:
/home/yurb/.emacs.d/elpa/puppet-mode-20170528.904/puppet-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/puppet-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-init hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/lilypond-init

Features:
(shadow term/xterm xterm emacsbug iso-transl org-table dabbrev sh-script
executable macros cus-start cus-load conf-mode debug tramp-cache pulse
goto-addr mml2015 mml-smime smime dig bbdb-snarf python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize rect eieio-opt
pcmpl-unix vc vc-dispatcher org-clock bookmark cal-move parse-time
tabify image-file org-capture org-colview cal-china lunar solar cal-dst
cal-persia cal-coptic cal-mayan cal-bahai cal-french cal-islam
cal-hebrew cal-julian shell sclang sclang-widgets tree-widget
sclang-server sclang-help sclang-vars sclang-help-minor-mode
sclang-minor-mode sclang-mode sclang-dev sclang-document sclang-language
sclang-interp sclang-browser view sclang-util dired-aux gnus-dired
misearch multi-isearch css-mode smie js sgml-mode json map imenu qp
bbdb-com crm mail-extr sort flyspell ispell face-remap bbdb bbdb-site
timezone diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-iso vc-git diff-mode org-indent
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex
bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m two-column yasnippet mediawiki url-cache mm-url
gnus gnus-ems nnheader url-http url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history mailcap url-auth url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse url-gw url-vars markdown-mode erc-dcc erc-truncate
erc-desktop-notifications notifications dbus xml erc-log erc-list
erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track
erc-match erc-button wid-edit erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat pp socks network-stream nsm
starttls tls gnutls org-mu4e mu4e desktop frameset mu4e-speedbar
mu4e-main mu4e-view thingatpt epa browse-url mu4e-headers mu4e-compose
mu4e-context mu4e-draft mu4e-actions rfc2368 smtpmail sendmail mu4e-mark
mu4e-message flow-fill html2text mu4e-proc mu4e-proc-mu mu4e-utils
doc-view subr-x jka-compr image-mode mu4e-lists mu4e-vars message idna
dired rfc822 mml mml-sec epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader hl-line mu4e-meta auth-source gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache php-mode derived rx speedbar sb-image ezimage
dframe etags xref cl-seq project eieio eieio-core flymake compile
cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs add-log ox-md ox-html ox-ascii ox-beamer
ox-latex ox-publish ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox
org-element edmacro kmacro org-agenda org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-src ob-keys ob-comint comint ansi-color ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs finder-inf info nrepl-autoloads package epg-config
golden-ratio easy-mmode advice cl-macs cl winner ring ido seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv misterioso-theme midnight quail
help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib server bbdb-loaddefs
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 916665 168826)
 (symbols 48 59352 0)
 (miscs 40 14597 3791)
 (strings 32 176013 46970)
 (string-bytes 1 5325208)
 (vectors 16 94117)
 (vector-slots 8 2486231 69277)
 (floats 8 2980 1222)
 (intervals 56 24807 7034)
 (buffers 976 393))