Subject: 26.0.90; Tramp doesn't work with counsel-find-file

From: Gemini Lasswell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 16:23:31 -0800

counsel-find-file has stopped working with remote files in emacs-26.

To reproduce, starting with an empty ~/.emacs.d/elpa directory and
emacs -Q:

M-x package-initialize RET
M-x package-install RET counsel RET
M-x counsel-find-file RET

Then enter a Tramp filename (the one I'm using looks like
/scp:server:path/to/file) and RET.

Result: an empty buffer and "Use M-x make-directory RET RET to create
the directory and its parents".

With the same procedure, emacs-25 successfully opens the remote file.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.90 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.21)
 of 2017-11-05 built on chinook
Repository revision: ca2d94ba61dee678f85bfc7299d167e7219e6d8f
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11905000
Recent messages:
Generating autoloads for counsel-ebdb.el...done
Wrote /home/gem/.emacs.d/elpa/counsel-ebdb-1/counsel-ebdb-autoloads.el [2 times]
Checking /home/gem/.emacs.d/elpa/counsel-ebdb-1... [3 times]
Compiling /home/gem/.emacs.d/elpa/counsel-ebdb-1/counsel-ebdb.el...done
Wrote /home/gem/.emacs.d/elpa/counsel-ebdb-1/counsel-ebdb.elc
Checking /home/gem/.emacs.d/elpa/counsel-ebdb-1...
Done (Total of 1 file compiled, 2 skipped)
You can run the command ‘package-install’ with M-x p-ins RET
Done (Total of 1 file compiled, 2 skipped)
Use M-x make-directory RET RET to create the directory and its parents

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/gem/src/emacs/emacs-26/bin --with-modules
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --config-cache'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY LIBSELINUX
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug colir ox-texinfo ox-odt rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse
nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table
ox-ascii ox-publish ox counsel jka-compr esh-util etags xref project
swiper ivy delsel ivy-overlay ffap thingatpt color ebdb-vcard
ebdb-snarf rmailsum org-agenda org-element avl-tree generator org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs advice mh-e mh-compat
mh-buffers mh-loaddefs ispell ebdb-i18n ebdb-i18n-basic ert pp ewoc
debug gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus
nnheader ebdb-mua sendmail ebdb-com warnings edmacro kmacro crm
ebdb-format qp ebdb cl-extra help-mode eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe find-func eieio-base pcase subr-x cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs timezone compile comint ansi-color ring info map autoload
radix-tree lisp-mnt tar-mode cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit
mm-archive message dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils network-stream
starttls url-http tls gnutls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny url-cache url-auth
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap epg finder-inf package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 323094 51060)
 (symbols 48 43277 1)
 (miscs 40 93 241)
 (strings 32 105130 4517)
 (string-bytes 1 3431191)
 (vectors 16 46261)
 (vector-slots 8 883098 39756)
 (floats 8 437 105)
 (intervals 56 623 51)
 (buffers 992 15))